The Ten Commandments of Higher Ed MarketingHigher Education
1. Thou shalt not use the word “brand” in vain, blaspheming it as a slogan or logo.
2. Positioning is the guidepost for all brand strategy; thou shalt have no other principle before it.
3. Honor evidence and research over opinions and conversations.
4. Honor your constituent groups and keep them prioritized.
5. Thou shalt have brand standards and enforce them.
6. Thou shalt integrate brand strategy into all ways that thou communicates.
7. Thou shalt not kill a creative idea, innovation or risk taking unless it is inconsistent with brand strategy.
8. Thou shalt covet another brand’s success, and learn from its mistakes.
9. Thou shalt not change your brand strategy, forsaking it for clever taglines or the quest for collegiality.
10. Thou shalt be the brand champion for thou art the marketing professional hired to do the job.